Melbourne - Salaried
Southern Cross Austereo is an exciting, vibrant, energetic and progressive company employing over 2000 staff nationally. We are dedicated to delivering firsts in entertainment solutions with the ability to reach 95% of Australians through our Radio, TV and Digital channels. Working at Southern Cross Austereo is far more than a job – it’s an opportunity to be associated with one of the world’s leaders in media entertainment.
What’s in it for you?
- We have a digital first focus for our future. You won’t get left behind at SCA!
- We are flexible: with shift swaps, working remotely/home, and offer the opportunity to work out of any newsroom in the SCA network. (Examples of people visiting family for a weekend, then doing a few days in another office, working across two offices each week)
- Multiple developmental pathways and career growth – from entry level positions, cap city on air roles, digital podcast positions both full and part time.
- Solid framework for news coaching for editorial and performer growth.
- A strong, caring and positive team culture (evidenced by survey results)
- Journalists with varying experience levels but an expectation of mutual respect.
- A ‘one team/ large pod’ structure means there is support for every journo no matter what sized market, what time of day.
- A multi layered contingency plan to allow everyone time away when they need.
- A careful onboarding process – with time to learn and settle in before news deadlines and on-air requirements kick in.
- As well as birthday leave, volunteer Leave, health and wellbeing initiatives, in-office culture events, corporate offers, PLUS much more!
The role on offer:
Reporting into the Melbourne News Editor, we currently have an opportunity for a high performing Journalist to join our Melbourne newsroom. As an SCA Journalist you will be responsible for identifying, creating and delivering compelling news to a targeted audience, while having a high level of experience and competence. Our Journalists work across our numerous media assets and as such you must be flexible to adapt and pivot where required.
As our successful candidate, you will be genuinely excited about providing our listeners with the most relevant, up-to-date news through our On Air, Digital Audio and Online channels.
The skills and experience you will need:
- Have a minimum of three years full time commercial radio experience
- Will have a confident, conversational reading style that is adaptive across both radio and podcasts
- Can work on creating accurate, punchy and creative bulletins on tight deadlines, but equally dive into longer form audio journalism.
- Love to work in both a solo and team environment
- Have excellent knowledge of news and sport - knowledge of local, national and international issues is crucial
- Have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Understand social media and experience using it as a newsgathering technique
- Experience with NewsBoss is preferable
Keen? Apply now by submitting your CV, cover letter and a recent Air Check.
Please note: Applications WILL NOT be considered without Air Check.
Southern Cross Austereo reserves the right to commence recruitment activities immediately and may cease advertising once a pool of suitable applicants has been received. Don’t delay, apply today!
As one of Australia's most innovative and exciting entertainment-based media companies, working for Southern Cross Austereo is far more than a job – it’s an opportunity to be associated with one of the world’s leaders in media entertainment. Our radio networks are committed to delivering the country’s best entertainment, music, sport, comedy and big events to Australians whilst our digital division is leading the way in thought leadership and innovation. We also have affiliation arrangements with all of the metropolitan commercial television networks which means SCA’s television services cover most of regional Australia. The combination of our TV, Radio and digital assets can reach 95% of Australians, engaging over 10 million people per week, making us a truly integrated media company.
Employing approximately 2,500 staff nationally, SCA is an exciting, vibrant, energetic and progressive company. Our values are the standards which our people share that guide our day-to-day decisions, shape or individual and collective behaviour and make us who we are today.
The opportunities to grow your career is endless when you’re working for one of Australia’s leading media companies. We provide all staff with ongoing support and guidance to develop your skills, grow your media career and reach your full potential.
We are committed to advancing equal employment opportunities for our staff and to diversify and develop our workforce. Furthermore, we aim to recognise the value of attracting and retaining employees with different backgrounds, experience, knowledge and abilities. We also aim to ensure diversity contributes to our business success and benefits individuals, teams, clients and the community.